Masakit ang ulo ni Basagulo.

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Working overtime.

I worked overtime today. First time since December of last year. I earned every penny of the goddamn overtime. I have four female patients and only one was decent. Three prima Donna, pains in the asses. My only one male patient was a nice man of 90 with scabies. What a set of patients, immediately, I know it will be a long day.

A long day is one when a nurse doesn't get a break unless you sacrifice getting behind in your work. I decided to get behind. I'm losing my patience and I need to keep cool. The new building's air conditioning isn't keeping up with the heat outside. There are work areas where it was hot and humid. There are places where it is nice and cool. This send waves of inconsistency to my body so I ended up sweating and then freezing. The good thing is that my feet are not bothering me. A first for a long time. I think it's stress causing them to be in pain. I tend to curl my feet when I'm stressed. Weird but true.

Patient 1 was an adult woman who was a victim of diabetes. She has lost her kidney and was given a transplant. Her right leg was then amputated. She is suffering now with phantom pain. Intense pain to an extremity that she no longer have. Now that is hell on earth.

Patient 2 was an adult former nurse. Victim of motor vehicle accident. She is paralyzed from her chest down. She's on a ventilator and a tracheostomy. Picky as hell about her care. Needs constant catheterization because she can't pee by herself. Another reminder to slow down and be careful with driving.

Patient 3 was a middle aged woman who had a total hip replacement. She had clotting complications and had a mild stroke. Her speech is affected in a way that she sounded like an old answering machine. Monotone and boring. She still dreams of having a farm in Texas.

Patient 4 was a middle aged woman who was in for deconditioned secondary to depression. Deconditioned is a term that caused a person to lose strength and ability to move. She is on high dose Zoloft. While in that bathroom having a bowel movement she asked me to look for a tube of balm ointment. She insists it's in the drawer. When I told her it's not there, she started crying and moaning. Jeez, what the fuck is going on? They later found it in the bathroom where she's at. Psycho.

Patient 5 was an elderly man. He should be dead by now but we are doing therapy on him so he can ahhh..... die later. Whatever, I don't care. He is nice so I'll take care of him.

All day long I gave out enough narcotic to kill an army. No wonder drug dealers love what they do. There is a constant need for addictive substance. You don't even need to advertise. Considering the pain they experience is true and unbearable. I'm a will participant in this legal way to kill pain. I will not wish what they are experiencing to my worst enemies. It's just pure agony.

I learned about a lot of new meds. I have to crack the med book open to know what the heck I'm giving.

An older Filipino nurse wanted to chat. She wants to know where else I work and other stuff. Man, I have to chart, but she insists that we talk first, just relax. Arrgh, I can't, I don't want to stay over just to chart. She's really nice. She was telling me that she's tired of Casa.

I went home 30 mins late but that's not too bad. It was a very busy day filled with stupid requests for stupid things. Since these people can complaint and the good old supervisor is a micro manager, just do what they want but let them wait for it. There are priorities and stupid request are always at the bottom of my list.