Masakit ang ulo ni Basagulo.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Got a guitar.

I finally bought my guitar. After weeks of research and shopping, I found the best value and best sounding (according to guitar players ranking) guitar. It's a Seagull S6. Made in Canada.

The guitar store is located on Citrus Ave in Covina, Ca. It's been there for years but for some weird reason I never knew it was there. It is just a block off the main strip. In the store, I nervously asked if the have the Seagull brand and model. The sales rep is a young guy who is very helpful in terms of service and letting me play with the guitar. He even played it, letting me hear the tonal quality. One thing about being in the store, you get educated about the different models. The sales men didn't pressure me on getting the more expensive models. I wondered what a glossy versus semi glossy finish does to a guitar. They said that the semi gloss has a wider tonal range. I mentioned about the cost of a Taylor guitar. One guy said that the Taylors are just way up there in the quality/cost range and that it will be the dream guitar. It is better to learn with a quality guitar that I will play for years to come and then get a Taylor for that really special time to move up. Taylor is the Benz of guitars. Made in California, USA.

They also have to set up the guitar. This means to lower the strings closer to the frets. This makes it easier to play and I didn't have to press the strings hard. I didn't know they can do that. I will also need to sign up for 1:1 classes to learn how to read tabs and learn how the basics of playing.

While in the store, a young girl and her parents were shopping for a saxophone. After they paid for the instrument, she was left to carry her new sax in a black case. She barely reached the high glass counter as she slowly slid the black case to her chest. She has the biggest smile and probably the happiest child on the planet. There are other kids in the store waiting for their classes. It's band season and the kids are busy learning their instruments.

I can't wait to pickup my guitar and case. It's been 24 years since cousin Edbert taught me how to play. It's time to relearn old skills.