Masakit ang ulo ni Basagulo.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Back to work.

I don't have enough PTO (paid time off) to keep calling in sick so I went back to work even if I didn't feel 100%. My assignment was not too bad, just routine nursing care. I didn't have to deal with any brain injury patients. They can be challenging.

I found out that the injuried former soldier has moved on to the TLC, transitional care unit. His wife was still in the anger stage of grieving process and she's been stuck on that stage for a year or more. Her behaviour (yelling, disrepectful to the nursing staff, aloof, etc.etc.) has become the subject of the nursing staff. At first I thought it was just me. The more I talk about it the more the other nurses started to verbalize their feelings about her.
It is sad that her husband will never be the same but those are things you think about when you join the military. Anyway, they are gone and I am glad. Let's have a bar-b-que.

Another male patient also moved on tho TLC. He and his family are really nice and are coping well. I admitted this gentleman and now he is moving on. He can't walk yet but I believe he will make it slowly but surely. He has a long way to go as part of his skull needs to be replanted. Right now it sits in his peritoneum, waiting for that day of reimplantation.

The young former nurse is also doing great. She used to be ventilator dependent and now she wheels herself around the unit with a traceostomy collar. The amazing thing about this young lady is that she is always smiling. Her positive attitude makes her a survivor. She was ejected from her car during a car accident. Keep those seatbelts on folks. People like her makes this job a keeper.

The registry agency continue to call. I told one of the schedulers that I have a full time job now and I will call them when I have a spot available.