Masakit ang ulo ni Basagulo.

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Bayan ng Pagasa. (City of Hope National Medical Center, Duarte California)

I had the opportunity to work for a national medical center. It is world renowned in cancer research and treatment. As I walked around this prestigous medical center. I recognized the abundance of brass name plates mounted on the entrances of the buildings. Must be rich folks who gave to the hospital.

There are numerous professionally designed gardens that surrounds these buildings. Everything are just posh. I wonder if there are homeless folks who lives in these gardens. I doubt it. Security is pretty tight.

The new medical center looks and feels like a museum. I've never seen anything like it. It's brand new structure is cutting edge hospital design. There ICU is huge. I was pretty beat after a 12 hours shift walking up and down its corridors. By no means I miss the tiny compact design of a 40 year old hospital with run down fixtures. I love the details that they applied to every nook and crany of this hospital. The personnel are also so professional. Jeez, I can work here atleast twice a week.

Most of the patients have cancer. The bastard disease that took my father's life and now it's taking over my uncle's. It also took my kumadre's life. She was only in her 40's and left two kids behind. I believe they were 5 and 2 years old.

During my shift. A middle aged person passed away due to complications of lung cancer. Then a young child arrived with a cadre of doctors, nurses, respiratory therapists, and social workers. After hours of emergent care, I believe the mother was told of the bad news and she wailed and cried in a way that will rip your heart out. I had to leave and hide in my isolation room. I can't take it. I was half in tears just hearing her cry. The husband was behind her crying and trying to comfort her. The doctors were in tears, everyone was crying. The nurse taking care of the kid was also red eyed. Jeez, how can a nurse work here for very long?

The charge nurse has been with the hospital for 15 years. Some has been there for 10-20 years. This is definitely a "special calling" type of nurses. When I was dealing with my patient's family. I tell them what's going on and then try to highlight the benefits of the treatments instead of concentrating on the gloomy truth. My way of showing them hope.