Masakit ang ulo ni Basagulo.

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Not everything at work is bad.

Okay, it's true that some people are not motivated. Maybe they know I have a sweet bonus waiting for me every 4 months so they are making me work hard for it. Who really cares? No one. The beauty of being a nurse is that there are incentives available to lure us to the lair.

The monsters of this lair are the nursing staff. Not all them are bad but nursing produce toxic people. Prima donnas of health care.

I talked to one of the staff yesterday and she went on to a litanny of switching jobs and finding her nirvanna. So far she only lasted 4 months at Casa and switched to per diem. She works full time at Good Sam in LA. She is selling her house in Pomona and bought another one further inland. She did it for her kids as one of them wants out of the parochial system and wants to try public education. She didn't like Pomona's school system.

I know I'm not alone in my search for my nirvana. I will find it and Casa ain't it. For now my challenge is getting the bonus. LOL

I met some neat people here in Casa, not staff, patients. They said there were a few purple heart ceremonies here for the iraq vets. I am yet to meet those soldiers. For now, I've met senior citizens that are going through rehab due to a fall, hip replacement, and other orthopedic surgeries. All of them are nice. They have stories to tell that sometimes take all of my time. They too are intrigued about my background. Most are surprised I'm not married and without kids. I see why they said this is a special place.

One patient has Guillain- Barre syndrome he is young and just had twins the same month as my sister had hers. He had paternal twins, a boy and a girl. He asks for pain meds on the clock. His legs are paralysed but fortunately he can move his arms. I will show him the twins pictures as he ask to see them.

Another patient, AT, is going through a lot in terms of being unable to care for herself and trying to sell her house. She transfered to a nursing home yesterday and the social worker has notified her son in Nevada about the transfer. She is depressed as she felt deserted by her family and friends. She's been at Casa for 2 weeks and started to feel safe there but now she will end up in a nursing home. I told her that hospitals are not safe as there are a lot of opportunist bacterias in them and food is horrible. I try to make her laugh or even smile in her depressing days here in Casa.

AT's room mate, BQ, is an unhealthy 330 lb woman whose gastric bypass has long ago failed and she is back to her old self. She has degenerative joint disease and that means her joints are no longer nice and slippery. She suffers from back pain and is totally dependent of others to care for her. She's only in her early 50's. She loves eating junk food as after a meal, I will find her chomping down on her box of cookies or bag of candies. One morning during her assessment, I found cramel coated popcorn all over her. She reports her family brings her the treats.

BQ was on an electric scooter during a PT session when she had an accident. She ran to a wall and injured her left toe. A pool of blood was observed and a chunk of meat was torn off her toe. An example of wheelchair versus wall collision. She didn't blame it to anyone. I figured she's too big for the scooter and her right leg activated the joystick. He thighs are so big, the fat is flowing over the arm rest where the joystick is located.

A 96 year old lady, CR, is pleasantly confused and wheel chair riding bad momma. She orders me around like a plantation slave. The word "please" comes up only at desperation time. Believe me nothing is desparation at Casa. only her dementia is in desparation mode. She wants to get in the bathroom every 15 mins as she can't remember when she was just there. I have to remind her about that and she will yell at me. I remind her again that I have done a lot for her and she appreciates that and that I'm a nice man so "please help me to the bathroom" It's 12 hours of demented hell for me. The CNA is ofcourse hiding somewhere. I just have to laugh.

These are just a few of the many personalities at Casa. It's a pleasure to serve these people.