Masakit ang ulo ni Basagulo.

Friday, January 26, 2007

Computers...I don't get it.

It must be the planets alignment as weird things have happened to my computers. My VAIO laptop has Mozilla Firefox loaded on it as a browser. Well, it decided to just reconfigure itself during the night and I lost all bookmarks and search engines. I reloaded the program after failing to figure out what happened. It's good I have enough brain cells left to remember some of my favorite sites.

On the positive side, I reconnected my Linksys wireless router and it started to work again. I hope it stays on. I tried it on my older Vaio laptop and it will not connect on the linksys even if my wireless port is a linksys too. Ah, the challenges of home network withe different XP versions and even windows 98 SE on my even older computer.

I found a wireless card for my 1998 Compaq desktop for cheap in Target. It runs on windows 98 and after half a day of configuration, the damn computer keep crashing, I was able to make it communicate with the Verizon wireless modem. The card that goes to the Compaq was inserted at the back of the unit so the antenna doesn't extend high enough. The signal was weak. Having the Linksys router with two antennas and wider range, the Campaq's antenna was able to connect well. The only problem is that I have to turn off the firewall program. I don't think they are compatible as the firewall program is much older software and an upgrade is no longer supported on the older operating system.

The Compaq is now wireless, awesome. 9 year old computer and it still works. Why do people get rid of their old computer? They don't have the time to fuck around. LOL. I do. It's fun to upgrade computers. It doesn't cost much and it's nostalgic to use old software and hardware.

I just need to figure out how to keep the OS, Windows 98 SE, stable. It takes several hard boot to get it going, a total waste of time.

I wish I can do the same with the old Mac G4. There are just not enough upgrade hardware for them in Target. Oh well, it is good as it is anyway. I upgraded the hard drive years ago and that's about it. With the new Intel Duo chips, support for the older systems will be gone too. Just another computer for nostalgia purpose.