Masakit ang ulo ni Basagulo.

Friday, January 26, 2007

A week off.

I was cancelled for overtime last Wednesday so just to make things better i called in sick the next day. This makes for a week off. Our pay period starts on Friday so technically I worked 2 days during the time period. Just to make things even interesting, I went to work the day I called in sick to make sure I get paid for the paid time off (PTO). My boss didn't care, she knew that nurses have bad back. She said she has a couple of herniated disks herself. I usually complain about my sciatica pain at work. This way I'm not expected to lift the fatso patients.

I always have something chronic I complain about at work so people will feel sorry for me when I call in sick. Asthma, sciatica pain, back pain and pneumonia are my usual complaints. unfortunately I've had them before in the past.

Nursing is not an easy career. Specially when pain in the asses patients are involved, I wish I was doing something else. Control freaks are the worst. They think they are the only patients and they want Marriott type of service. It's freaking rehab people not a freaking vacation in the Carribean. We are in freaking Pomona, Ca. Far from any resort island. LOL.

I heard from the grape vine that the Dept of Health Services is coming for an inspection next Monday. Whoop dee doo. That is always fun. The inspectors walk around asking serious questions on how to use equipments and what ever else they want to ask. In my 11 years of nursing I have never been asked. I was told they are back to see if Pharmacy has straightened their problems out. The news I've heard is that they have not done anything to fix the problem. The former pharmacist left a couple of months ago. The pharmacist in our hospital is an outside contractor so I don't see how the hospital can fix the problems when no one is personally accountable with the department. I really don't care. Not my department.

Work in the rehab is pretty easy. I just need to get used to the annoying patients who don't want to be there. We have case managers who seek out patients for rehab. Sometimes their choices are not the hottest. They pick out this elderly woman for rehab. She didn't want to move, she wanted to die and she will not participate in rehab. Eating was too much for her and she just plainly doesn't want to live. She tells everyone she wanted to meet her creator. I took care of her for 2 days and I was off for 2 days. When i came back she was gone. Apparently, she died during her sleep.

Another elderly man had the same problem. He didn't want to do rehab, only drinks Ensure and suffers from diarrhea. His wife comes over to yell at the staff. She accused me of not doing my job. Everything we've done was wrong. I told her if she knew so much why don't she do it herself. I called the supervisor on her. Her poor caretaker rolls her eyes every time she had a fit of bad behavior. I felt sorry for her as this might be the only job she got. The poor guy was a minister according to the misbehaving wife. I don't know what kind of minister, maybe the minister of pain.

Okay time to enjoy this days off. Hmm I'm going bowling.