Masakit ang ulo ni Basagulo.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Casa in the news.

Casa was featured in the news this evening. It showed how injured soldiers are being left uncared for by the Veterans Administration. The VA has told these survivors of war that they will require wheelchair for life and nursing home care. Afew lucky souls end up at Casa. After months of rehabilitation, they are now walking and talking. Living a life with their family.

I happen to admit one of the soldier and he is doing very well. The VA surgeons told his mother that he will not talk, walk, or live a normal life again. He was referred to Casa by a Marine officer. Now she was glad that they came to California from Florida.

I get to know the mother and she said that they used to scuba dive in the Florida keys. I'm impressed. I can't even thread water. One thing I know is that this family of Marines are really loyal to their Corps. The father was a Vietnam vet and his other two brothers were vets of the first Iraq war.

I don't get assigned to him much, I don't know why. I guess he's too easy an assignment and I usually get the more challenging patients. I visit him as much as I can and his mother really appreciates it. It's nice to see progress from someone the VA doctors has given up on. As they say, The Miracle Continues.