Masakit ang ulo ni Basagulo.

Saturday, March 03, 2007

Helping friends to let go.

I found an old telephone list and found a number of an old friend from the old aerospace job. I dialed the number but it was no longer in service. I searched the internet for the new area code of Palmdale, Ca. Used the number and found out that he still have that number. I left a message and early this afternoon he called me back.

I found out that he still works for Boeing and is presently a janitor. Huhh? I can't believe it. Found out that he finished nursing school but has not passed the board exam. He failed twice and didn't try again. He landed various aerospace jobs and was waiting for top secret clearance for months. As he waits they gave him a janitor job. He told me he will empty garbage cans for an hour and a half then sits on his behind the rest of the day.

I told him needs to let that job go and get an LVN or CNA license. Jobs in nursing are numerous and he already posses a nursing degree. After half an hour on trying to convince him about getting out of aerospace, he thanked me for restoring his self worth. Boeing hasn't been honest with him and has made promises they haven't kept. He lives in Palmdale and presently rents a room in Anaheim to keep the janitor job. He gets way less than what CNAs make.

He can get the LVN license then work on his RN. I told him about opportunities in nursing and he's convinced he needs to look it up again. It's been 11 years since he got his degree but they are good indefinitely. Hospitals will train anyone with a license.

I also told him that we need to network as there are other opportunities that is outside our profession. Time to let go I told him. Don't let the past hold him down. I'm glad I'm out of aerospace. No regrets here.