Masakit ang ulo ni Basagulo.

Friday, June 27, 2008

Driving around.

I took my 14 year old Civic today and found out the air conditioning is not working. I drove to Arcadia Methodist Hospital to check out the job openings. Fifteen miles in the 85 degree weather without ac got me sweating real quick. After Arcadia i went to East Valley and they only have ICU job openings.

On the way home I stopped by my mechanic and he noticed right away things that are new in the engine compartment. I told him the new alarm and the battery were warantee work. I didn't tell him I had 2 mechanics at one time. I don't go to the other as he was charging me too much for his services.

J is my neighbor and he doesn't gouge me. No wonder he is successful. He moved his auto audio business next to his shop. Great, now I can upgrade my car stereo if needs to be upgraded. I don't buy stereo if its still working. Most only last about 6 years and they go break down.
This is okay as i don't use cassette any more and iPod is now the thing.

Gas prices is in the $4.50 ballpark and higher with othr brands. Arco and Costco have better prices. Arco will charge $0.40 to use ATM. It now cost almost $50.00 to fill up a 10 gallon tank when it used to be $15. My mechanics wife drives an Expedition made by Ford and it takes her $125 to fill up the tank. He said he can't trade it in as they will only give him $4500 for the SUV.

My friend JJ takes the bus to work. A three mile commute and he said he walks home. M poor friend bought a Suburban a couple of years ago and now tries to cope with it. He can't trade it in as he still owes $20,000 on it. That's the problem in buying new over priced SUV.

The Civic also needs the left side mirror assembly replaced as the mechanism inside is broken and it won't stay in place. It's like a spineless device that point inwards and I'm not used to not having a left side mirror. I depend on mirrors a lot when driving.

I left the car at the garage and J was nice enough to have one of his mechanics to drive me home. This mechanic was the one I took care of 3 years ago in the ICU at Intercommunity Hospital. He had a heart attack. He is looking very good. Nice to see people I took care of and still living.

I used to walk home but it was specially warm/hot this after noon so I took the offer for a ride home. I'm picking up the car tomorrow so he can finish the left side mirror. The ac is already fixed. The freon level was zero. No wonder there is no cold air coming out of the ducts. It was last charged more than 5 years ago so it's about time to be charged.

Yup the Civic is no Mercedes but it's 1500 cc engine is thrifty on gas. Compared to the 3200 cc of the Benz and the 3000 cc of the Montero, both six cylinders, the Civic rules. The seat is not comfortable at all. The power stearing was a bit tough to turn. The streo is kick ass Alpine with a CD changer and Alpine speakers all around. It masks the loud driving noise of the Civic. It's not as refined as the present day version but it still works.