Masakit ang ulo ni Basagulo.

Saturday, April 30, 2005

Uncle-in-training.

This week and the next coming weeks seem to be my in house training for unclehood. I had the rare chance to assist my sister with her 4 year old child while my bro-in-law sets up their new frontier in Northern California. Yup, my sister's family is moving from the warm Southern California area to the cooler climate of the north. Eventually, I will moving there myself as we all migrate north just like geese in the summer months. Thank God people don't do migrations like geese in a seasonal pattern.

My niece is an extremely cute beautiful girl. Like most kids, her life is play, eat, poop and sleep. Taking care of her basically means meeting these needs. It is an exhaustive task specially when you have other things to do. Another reason I will not have kids, hahaha.

I observe my sis take care of her from morning until night. Man, it can be a full time job. Not something that a lazy person like me would be doing in the near future. I like to lounge around at home writing blogs, recuperating from the slave labor of nursing thankless bastards so they can wreck havoc on the world, and searching ebay for stuff I don't need.

Changing diaper full of excrement of digestion is not at all fun both visually and nasally. Besides the diaper changes though, taking care of her is fun in general. She plays all the time, running around their house pushing a little baby carriage. The sound of hard plastic wheels and wooden floor is mind numbing. Then she will try to shake the carriage to make a deafening drumming sound. Toy manufacturers should be sued for making noisy toys like that. A set of rubber wheels would have be appropriate to dampen the noise.

It's different driving around with a car seat in my SUV. The cool factor drops significantly when such a padded mass of plastic is strapped on the otherwise luxurious leather back seat. It turns a SUV to a PUV. Parent utility vehicle. Such vehicles don't see much sport when a baby is riding the back seat. The cargo space previously used to carry a bike and a cooler of sports drink is now used to ferry groceries, boxes of diapers and cans of powder baby formula. I perhaps need one of those 80's signs reading "Baby aboard".

Hey, this situation is temporary and as soon as the niece and her parents move out of my area, I will miss her a lot. It's good I have plenty of good pictures of her and me together. I also remember when my mom's brother used to spend time with us and he also drives us around town and to school. The cycle continues. Someday it will be my niece's turn to take care of her nephews and nieces. The same way her uncle took care of her. Except she will be driving a newer model SUV.