Masakit ang ulo ni Basagulo.

Sunday, March 19, 2006

iVisit, video conferencing service.

Traveling to the Bay Area is fun but can get expensive when done frequently. Moving there is more complicated than reprioritizing one's life after deciding 8 years ago that I need to set root and stay put in one place. There are things to consider, weather, living in an apartment and having to do laundry in a laundry mat, dealing with noise coming from the neighbors, etc. etc. I'm not making excuses, I'm being realistic.

One alternative is to see my favorite neices by video conferencing. After searching the net for affordable setups, and it can get up there in the $$$$ range, I found a site that is free and requires gadgets I already have. iVisit.com is the place. Macs and PCs can get together without any problem.

I found a 7 year old camera that I hardly used and a headset microphone included in an old simulator game. I plugged them in my laptop and after setting up the camera and the mic, I was online. I told my brother in law, V, about it and we tried out his setup. First it was all chatting by typing then he heard my voice. Okay this got him excited enough to get an old camera and set it up. His work on the setup was delayed for hours due to his twins girls and a 5 year old all trying to get his attention.

After a couple of hours of feeding and diaper changes, V got the video going and was happy enough that the whole family went out to get a microphone setup. He can't find his old mic because it's in a box in a garage, god knows where.

After a few hours, he called me up and wants to try it again. Wallah, video and sound. I talked to my sister,T, and watched the twins in the background. God they are soooo cute. They sat in their little baby chairs and was playing with each other. Their legs are shaking as if they want to walk. They are now about 15 lbs each. Not bad, since they were only 6 and 5 lbs when they were born. That was 6 months ago.

My older neice will just walk past the video camera, just doing her thing. I try to call her over to no avail.

This video comferencing can save me money big time. I can watch the twins grow up without going there every month. It also saves on cell phone calls too. The software also allows me to record the broadcast. The resolution was in the low side. I don't care, it's free.

Sign up to iVisit.com and connect to friends everywhere in the world.