Masakit ang ulo ni Basagulo.

Monday, April 03, 2006

Cycle of Life.

The baby boom generation is aging and one of the best job to have in terms of demand is funeral director/embalmer. Like nursing, no one wants to be one of this.

I've been an ICU nurse for 10 years and I still believe that all patients in the ICU needs to be saved from death. It was my belief that all efforts has to be spent to save people. As the population of our country reaches its golden age, the elderly frequent the expensive beds of ICUs in the country.

I've seen way more DNR conversations between doctors and families. More ventilator tubes are being pulled to let the elder pass away in peace. No more intrusive tube in the throat and nose and catheters to the bladder. No more central lines to pump antibiotics, fluids, TPNs and lipids. No more daily lab draws and chest xrays. No more turning and unnecesary movements that causes excruciating pain.

The first that died on my watch was a DNR. She was in her 70's and 80's. It was a very uneasy feeling to just let her go. Why no just let her in the medical floor if we are not going to do everything?

I also observed that those family members that are hardest to deal with are those who has lost connection with the dying patient. People show up demanding to find the same person they left 20-30 years ago. Time changes people and people change with time.

I'm just glad that I don't have any major issues with my now deceased parents. I lived the good child life the best I could. The tons of money that went to Catholic school education was not wasted. I have repaid all the personal debt I owe to my parents and my siblings. They helped in those lean days when I was unemployed and have to reinvent myself. I returned the favor by helping them when they need me. I don't wait to be asked, I volunteered.

It was hard to lose my parents. I wanted them to live longer. To see me successful and to repay what they have given me. I wanted them to see my house, my Benz and to show them that people can make it from one bedroom apartment building and riding the bus to a nice home in the suburbs with 4 cars and a dog. Let's not go to the family thing as that is off limits. :-)

The relationships are precious. This life is so short to dislike each other. So let's love each other so we can live longer. All I can say is take your vitamins and replace your windows. That is the secret to long life.