Masakit ang ulo ni Basagulo.

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Engineering dream.

I once again have the feelings of wanting to be an engineer. There is a huge demand for civil engineers at CalTrans. Nursing seems to be just too hard and I'm getting restless. I found an engineering forum that talks about the profession. To my great surprise, there is a great consensus that engineering consists of performing non-engineering jobs. One petroleum engineer stated "Unfortunately, someone didn't tell you that 50% of engineering is clerical, 40% is repetitive boredom, and 10% is making coffee and photocopying." An electrical engineer responded "Without the 10% towards coffee-making, the distribution would be: 50% staring at random point on desk, 30% clerical and 20% repetitive boredom. In my organization, it seems as if we devote >50% on meetings. We have meetings to schedule meetings!"

Very few talented engineers get the design jobs. Only after a few years of knowing all the building codes can one really get into designing buildings. Wow. What are my chances of going back to a field that is not even my major? I may have to reassess my dream and look at another angle at this. I read somewhere that if I do a matrix of my skills, I can come up with a new niche that no one is supporting.

Yesterday was not a bad day except for the doctor who can't find shit in the chart. Eight years of education and residency plus atleast 20 years of being a doctor didn't give this shit head of a doctor the skill to find data in a chart. Reminds me of a phlemwad doctor who wants me to read the chart for him over the phone. Now that is a real winner. He complained to the supervisor that I have an attitude. I told the supervisor he is upset because he can't find anything in the chart and I found it for him. I should have told the super he was upset because a nurse outsmarted his dumb MD mind and that he is an idiot.

We have a 400 lbs patient. Nice guy who broke his knee by stepping the wrong way. Sounds weird but true. He tore a muscle where it connects to his patella. At his weight, any muscle will tear when it's used wrong. Transfering him from the wheel chair to bed was a herniating experience. I tried to assist him, lifting him will be stupid. We were able to get him over by using a hoyer lift. It's like a crane on the ceiling, he hangs on to it while the crane lifts him up. That crane can lift 400 lbs. Great tool.