Masakit ang ulo ni Basagulo.

Monday, October 02, 2006

Weekends...

are usually nice at Casa. Last weekend was an exception. We have a new bunch of patients who are new to rehab and still on the earlier stages of grieving. Anger and denial abound in the halls. Patients are riding the call light and I have a few on bowel program. The CNA was busy and I'm picking up the slack.

Bowel program is initiated when the patient doesn't have a b.m. for 48 hours. Patients who get plenty of pain meds by injection (IV) experiences low bowel motility thus no b.m. or impaction. Impaction is bad as I have the duty to dig the sonofabitch out. The most disgusting goddamn aweful nursing procedure. I've done it in a nursing home many moons ago. It's a daily thing here in rehab.

A patient of mine had a car accident and he's a little looney. Young guy. I walked in the room greeted everyone pleasantly and went on my business. I noticed his IV site was gone. he said he pulled it out. The father was in the bathroom, just finished shaving his son. He asked me with an attitude where I was when his son was sitting on shit. I tried to explain to him that his son didn't want to use a bedpan but used a urinal. The dipshit father told me that I didn't have to defend myself. I told him I'm not and I'm just answering his questions. he went ballistic and started yelling at me and pointing his finger to my face. I turned around and left. Man, that is what I get for caring for his bozo son. I was really peeved. I reported the incident to the supervisor and wrote an incident report. I also talked to his doctor and he told me it was an unusual bahavior for the father. Dr. P told me that he is still trying to cope on his son's condition. Ah, the anger phase of grieving. I don't give a shit, no one talks to me like that. I am no one's slave.

I swtiched assignments with the LVN in my team. She didn't mind. I picked up her patient who had his legs amputated and is on dialysis. Complications of high blood pressure and diabetes. This dude is so non-compliant he doesn't know what hid meds do. A sad story retold many times with diabetics with high blood pressure. Medications are expensive and compliance is very hard. People enjoys to practice their bad habits. He wishes he still have his legs. Oh well, he should have taken care of himself.

My saving grace was a very nice 84 year old lady. She only calls for potty and we even found her trying to wear a pair of diapers by herself. She told us she didn't want to bother anyone. She was so cute. A chubby elderly lady that is still cognisant of her surroundings.

Two rooms down is an elderly jewish lady of poor disposition. She yells for help and a real pain to the posterior. She has a room mate that feeds to her negative energy. After physical therapy complained about this disturbing social dynamics, the two ladies were judiciously separated.

Having three days off and going back to work to this conditions should be banned. My greatest wish is that someday, nurses can get people arrested for talking nasty to them. There should be a law to prohibit hostility to nurses. The only barrier that I see is that some women are suckers for punishment. The smart ones take the stand.

The phlemwad father realized his wrong ways and brought some muffins from Costco, a gesture that is too little and too late. A $1000 in a white envelope is much more appreciated.