Masakit ang ulo ni Basagulo.

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

See a doctor.

A common advice by my sister. I, being a nurse, a critical care nurse, knows the symptoms of a cold. I hang on for dear life as I coughed, wheezed and sputtered for about a week and a half. Well, last night I was up all night and just can sleep. I took a few naps and was basically just not sleepy. I'm still coughing but nothing major. I even think I was even 75% better.

Around 9 a.m. I decided to call in for an appointment and the earliest someone can see me is 7:30 p.m. I took it and did errands during the day. I sent a happy b'day message to my brother by text. I didn't want to bother him at work as his boss is the Wicked Witch from the West.

As soon as I got to the doctor the nurse was like "I can hear you wheezing", "why did you wait 2 weeks to see a doctor?" "Your asthma can get really bad". Whow, I got that coming. The doctor was a Filipiono and we talked about my symptoms and medical histories and conditions. He ordered some medications and a chest x-ray. THe x-ray was clear but he belives I have bronchitis and need antibiotics. I also received a breathing treatment as my asthma is really bad. The bill was about $100.00, holy cow. This is meds only. 2 inhalers, antibiotics, refills, and antiinflamatories. Jeez, and I thought it was just a cold.

The doctor happens to know my cousin who's a doctor in the east coast. He knows him well and was even in my mom's funeral 6 years ago. What a small world. He was "ka brod" with my cousin. Meaning they were "brothers" in the same medical school fraternity in the Philippines. Interesting night. He even covered me for my absence at work with a form that indicated my days of illness and that I am cleared to return to work.

Doc suggested that I switched to him as my primary doctor. Hey, who am I to say no. His office is about a couple of miles from my home and getting an appointment with him will be easier. The bad thing is my insurance only covers me until April and my new job doesn't have the same insurance coverage. Oh well, atleast he can manage my medical condition better than my present doctor.

There is always a silver lining to every dark cloud. Well, I'm turning another year older in a few minutes. So, I'm signing off and will greet the new age watching the Late show on t.v.