Masakit ang ulo ni Basagulo.

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Family names.

When my grand father was alive he requested my mom to have his grand children sign their names with his last name included as a middle name. I was more than obliged to do so as my grandfather is someone I respected and loved.

As the years go by, I started to skip the V from my signature as it is faster to sign my name without it. Today I should reconsider that as I heard from the grape vine one of my close relative might not be using our last name with his kids.

If for example my wife is a doctor and she is known for that last name before we met then that may be fine as long as in other non professional aspects of our lives she is using my last name. For my kids not using my last name is a slap in my father's face and tradition.

An uncle of mine changed his las name from Pascual to Pasquale and it shook the very foundation of my father's family side. Relatives were pissed to the core. He was joked upon and laughed at in family events. Until finally he was forgiven as an old senile man.

My mom's grand father has three kids. Two girls and a boy. The girls will never have their fathers family name as they get married so my grand father still had hopes on his son's kids. Guess what? He had two girls. The death of the Valino family name. That's when he started requesting that the V be used with our names. Poor grandpa, I wish he knows that I am a proud Pascual and a Valino. I call myself a mix. ILOCALOG - Ilokano and Tagalog. I am proud of the traditions of both families and if I ever found someone to marry and have kids, I will incorporate all traditions of the families.

Keep family names is a sensitive issue but I guess it all depends on who is really wearing the pants. That is the issue for another blog called under disaya.