Masakit ang ulo ni Basagulo.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Back on track.

I went back to work last night with a nursing registry. It was a late call, meaning someone didn't show up for work so the hospital needs someone to cover their staffing. Scheduled work for this hospital in Montery Park is 6 pm to 6:30 am. The registry called me at 6:15 pm last night and I need to show up at 8:00 pm. It's like working 10 hours for 12 hrs. pay.

I saw one of my former workmate there. We kinda laughed when we saw each other. Work was not too bad. Busy at first and got behind real fast when I got the first admission. Fortunately they don't do much narrative charting here. We just check a bunch of boxes and that is the assessment tool. Great time saver.

I took a break with the charge nurse and my former workmate. I learned that the hospital provided noodle soup for the staff daily. Wow, free food. Not bad.

The drive to work was 29 miles. Not bad, I was going opposite heavy traffic both coming from and going to work. I got my former workmate's telephone number so I can keep in network with her. She's a potential wedding photography customer.

I was glad I'm back on track. I met another LA County School of Nursing graduate. He finished in 2000 and got free tuition after working for County for two years. That option I didn't have since nursing work was hard to get back in 1995. I don't envy him, I had a great experience in North Carolina, something I can't equate to anything money wise. He also work registry after LA County failed him in their critical care course. This is actually the second person I heard this from. Another friend of mine also failed County critical care course and never worked ICU.

Now there is a pattern here. This guy is now the third person this past two weeks that I know who is not tolerating the crapthat goes with nursing. There is so much nasty politics and bullshit that no one wants to commit to anything. He works when he wants and takes 2 months off if he wants. Wait, 2 months? is he crazy? Oh well, I will not go there. He does what he wants and nursing can be that flexible.

Okay, time to rest. I'm scheduled to work again to night.