Masakit ang ulo ni Basagulo.

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Home improvement.

I decided to work on my pool again. It's a love hate relationship. 30,000 gallons vs. me. While buying supplies to clean the pool, I got side tracked on buying new electrical outlets for my house. I've been meaning to upgrade my electrical outlets as they are loose. Plugs fall off in the slightest movement.

Electricity is not my favorite energy. The thing can kill you. Can't make mistakes or else 120volts of unadulterated energy will zap the bejesus out of your soul. Yesiree, fried like a pork chop.

I bought everything that the electrical book listed me to have. Bunch on Made in China electrical equipment that checks if the wiring is right and tells you if you are about to fry your brains off. It was worth the 20 something bucks. I dug up the rest of the tools I haven't used for more than 15 years. A couple of small screw drivers, a wire cutter and a wire stripper.

I started with my bathroom outlet. Taking the outlet apart is the easy part. After failing to get the ground fault circuit interupter (GFCI) receptacle installed, I settled in installing a basic receptacle. The GFCI is a better receptacle as it is now required in bathrooms and kitchens. I need to read up on this one some more.

The more I work, the more I realize that my eyesite has been bothering me as I can't read the very fine print on the receptacles. I have to look for my glasses, otherwise everything is a blur. I hate being old.

The wiring of the bathroom receptacle was a success. Fueled by this victory, I started to pull out the receptacle by the double glass door and found out that it was a receptacle in the middle of a circuit. This means three cables go into this box. Hmmm, a little complicated. I have to let this one go as I have no clue how this one works. Back to read some more.

The most important thing about home electical work is to shut off the power from the main box. Why play with electricity? I learned a lot today. With a little research, some money for tools and equipment, a little patience, and willingness to do a little work makes a project like this all worth while.

The vacuum cleaner now plugs into the bathroom without falling off. Gotta love that. One down 10+ more to go.