Masakit ang ulo ni Basagulo.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Off jury duty!

Monday was my first and last day for jury duty. I sat at the juror waiting room for the whole day. Two groups were called after lunch. The clerk will call in the names of people who will be going to be picked as juror. It was not really bad but that will really kill the week.

Prior to the year 2000. I used to sit in the juror waiting room the whole day for 10 days. Now a days, I can call in if my group is being called, if not, I go to work. If I get called, I show up at 8:30 in the morning and pray I don't get called for a case. I have a good book to read with me. There are plenty of reading material around if you want to read yesterdays bad new or yesterday's "new" technology.

Taxes paid, thank God it's over.

I love getting refunds from my taxes but I hate getting reciepts and paper work together. I've been working on my taxes for weeks. I make sure that I get every cent that I can deduct. I need to get a box where I can toss every receipt instead of keeping them in my wallet.

I drove 35 miles to my accountant in Los Angeles. Driving my old Honda Civic was nostalgic of the time I used to drive to work in L.A. I don't miss it at all. The price of gas has risen considerably during that past week and I don't want to spend too much on gas. I also tried to drive at 60-65 mph. I succeeded without anyone honking their horns at me. I stayed on the slow lane to avoid hot headed speed demons. The Civic is a well built car, it's 1500 cc engine has not given me any problems. I try to keep up with scheduled maitenance but since I don't drive it hard, I delay a lot of it until my conscience can't stand it anymore. Sure there are squeeking parts here and there but a nice stereo system can fix that problem. I have a set of new shock absorbers for it and it drives much better than the original. The new KYB shock absorber is better than stock Honda parts. It will never drive like a sedan as it doesn't have the wheel base to make it so.

I also went and visit my parents resting place in Glendale, after buying some flowers from the flower shop across the street from the cemetery. The brass plaque was all soiled due to a recent rain and burial not far from theirs.

Deciding what to have for lunch was a little challenging. I settled for Sizzler not far from the cemetery. The salad bar was over priced but I need to watch my diet and my wallet.

The Holy Week is good so far. I just need to get some work in so I have some income for the week. I can't wait for the weekend. Easter is always nice.