Masakit ang ulo ni Basagulo.

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Size does matter.

Once in a long while I get a chance to care for super large people. How big you ask? 300lbs, nope, guess again. 400 lbs. Ah, not even close. 500lbs. Getting warm. 520lbs. BINGO.

He lies on a special duty bed. One made by Caterpillar or John Deere. Professional quality bed with trapeeze attachment so patients can use their arms to lift their torso. There is a heavy duty air mattress with adjustable firmness levels from head to toe. I'd say $1500 per day rental for this puppy.

Registry nurses gets all the fun with jumbo patients. The regular staff will pass it on to the fools from the registry who even dared show up for work today. Time to earn our money and we don't even get help because everybody is busy.

It took 7-8 people to turn him (I'll use the male gender for simplification, I can't disclose patient's gender). His back is excoriated due to immobilization. Policy suggest turning patients every two hours. I just don't know where to find the resources to turn this person that often. Eveybody was busy with their own patients.

How did he get this big? Apparently he had back problems (I wonder why) and a botched back surgery that made him immobile. Immobility may lead to morbid obesity. On the other hand there are those who pursue atheletic endeavors when they get disabled.

I took care of the client for two days. I was hurting after the second day. Sharp pain start shooting from my left shoulder. I'm careful not to hurt myself when taking care of large people but it comes with the territory.