Masakit ang ulo ni Basagulo.

Friday, October 13, 2006

PC connector, digital slaves and pro-lens.

Consumer digital SLR cameras have a few things lacking like a PC connector. Using a manual flash from the film era to a digital camera requires this little attachment. I have one but I happen to destroy it when the PC male cable end got stuck to the hotshoe adapter and I turned it to loosen it, like the way we do. Well it was so stuck that the port itself twisted and the wiring inside was severed from the port within the adapter. Cheaply made I should say but cables getting stuck is so uncommon. This happens if the PC connectors are brand spanking new. The old ones are worn out so they never get stuck.

Off to the store I went. They don't sell the type of hotshoe Wein that I have anymore. They have some German made adapters now. It cost me about $15. It's actually better as I can attach another flash on it. The bad thing is it dosn't have a screw lock like the old one. They also have a Wein slave that ignores the preflash of digital cameras. The old peanut slaves that I have fires during the preflash, messing up the photograph. This puppy is $70. It enables me to use my point and shoot digital and slave the Vivitar 285HV. I get really nice pics this way. The built in flash just doesn't throw enough power. The 285 HV gives the point and shoot some extra flash power.

I saw speck of dirt in my lovely 70-200 mm f2.8L IS USM cannon lens. I was pissed. I asked the man behind the counter where I bought the hotshoe what to do with it. He said to check it for image problems by shooting some backlit subjects. When I got home after dinner at a Thai restaurant, I shot myself with backlighting. No problems so far. This lens cost a fortune and having some speck of dirt inside just pisses me off. Fortunately, it doesn't affect the images. Thank god.