Masakit ang ulo ni Basagulo.

Sunday, October 17, 2004

Weekend off.

I had a great weekend with a friend last night. We talked about the dismal state of our profession. He's a middle school teacher and I'm a nurse.

I told him that I toyed with the thought of being a teacher and was dissuaded by the fact that I need to take home work. Checking homeworks and exams when I did tutoring work for the LA Unified School District is still fresh in my mind. He told me that there is some work to be done at home but he uses teacher's aide. These are some of the student who wants to help the teacher. I don't think they are paid but there has to be some incentive to do this for a teacher. I don't remember doing it when I was in middle school. Then again I went to school in the Phil.

He explained to me the inner workings of a school system. It was interesting. Principals are commonly fired if they don't perform. There are landmark goals that needs to be met. After a few years of poor school performance the principal is fired. Since there is a shortage of principals, they just apply for a job and if you know a school superintendent, then you get hired. I also thought that principal have PhD. Teachers shoe gets PhD end up in academia and those who turns up as school superintendent have EdD. Doctor of education. They are well equipped to run school district. Interesting. Superintendents are hired by the school board. Elected officials whose roles are running the whole school district. The politics of it all is mind numbing. Sealing the fate that I will never want to be a teacher. Screw it.

Being a teacher is not easy. Moving from one school district requires one to start over from the buttom of the pay scale. This penalty discourage this practice. I can't imagine it happening to me. I will be so trapped in a school where I'll be so unhappy. I've moved to so many hospital looking for that right "feel and formula" where nurses and adminitrators exist in harmony. No such place exist. After changing to dialysis nursing, I can see the workings of a hospital/facility from another angle.

At huge medical centers, there are a lot of bickering, fighting, and disagreements between supervision and ther nursing staff. It takes forever to do anything. In smaller hospitals, there seems to be a lot more acceptance of the nurse's role and they just do what they have to do. Things are done in a blink of an eye. No back talking, no complaining, no bullshit. Unbelievable. In my search to my nirvana, I found that smaller hospitals are better in serving it's customers. Larger hospitals seem to have more wheels and devices that needs to be moved before results are seen. Interesting. I've alway shun away from smaller hospitals because they have no unions and the belief that conditions will be worst. Man, am I wrong.This further encourages me to keep up with the photography business.