Masakit ang ulo ni Basagulo.

Monday, November 14, 2005

Looking....
I've been told that the reason I move to different nursing jobs is that I am restless. Every now and then, I find myself looking for another gig. There has to be another way to earn a living. A charge nurse at work got his masters in nursing so he can teach. We had a couple of incidents at work where a couple of Mexican families wanted to have their way in our ICU. They continuously fought with the nurses and will not follow the visiting rules.

I have a lot of problems dealing with the Mexicans. They seem to have a hard time dealing with illnesses in their families. They reflect a lot of their anger towards the nurses that is helping their loved ones. What exactly does this do in terms of caring for their family? Nurses hate taking care of the patient because the family is over bearing and hostile.

Don't get me wrong. I don't hate anybody. I care for anyone willing to be cared for. Why families goes after the nurses when we tell them they can't visit for more than 5 to 10 minutes? They think we are uncaring and we want to just sit around doing nothing. One patient family member asked me why we don't have hispanic nurses. My answer was there are no hospanic nurses applying to nursing schools. There is a nursing shortage and Koreans, Indian, and FIlipino nurses are imported to fill in the gap. I asked her if she knows any Mexican nurse and she said "no". There you go.

Okay, grandma is on the ventilator. She is 7o+ years old. The family wants to go in the room and stay there all day and all night. There are two patients in each room. Not much room to move around. Do they care about the other patient? I don't think so. When told to leave they give nasty looks and frequently asks the nurse how long will the care take so they can come back. Man, what a bunch of pain in the ass. I'm not even involved with this patient and they are stressing eveyone out. The doctors hates to go in there as they are barraged by stupid questions. We asked them to have a spokes person but the concept doesn't seem to make sense to them. Why can't they ask the nurses the same question over and over by different family member? Well, if we just answer the same question over and over, we can't take care of the patient.

There is a lot of cultural issues that Asian nurses can't really understand about the Mexican culture. Not even American nursing schools teach us how to deal with this culture. I've taken care of other cultures of Central America and there are no problems. Maybe the Hispanic Nurses Association can answer my question.

Is there a fast food mentality or hotel mentality with this culture. Do they expect quick acting medicine.? Do they expect hotel service type of treatment? I don't know. Maybe somebody out there can make a poll of Mexican patients and see what they expect. If they expect to have hotel service type treatment, should the hospital expect them to pay for the bill just like a hotel. Hah, I don't think so. Maybe they think we owe it to them since the US took over their land. Maybe, we should ask for a green card first before they get service. Or maybe their rich Mexican neigbors should pay for it. There has to be an answer. I know the politicos will not touch the immigration issue. Even the governator will not touch that issue but he wants to mess with the working people of this great state.

Ah, tomorrow is another day. Another day where I expect a Mexican will treat me like shit as I save their loved ones life. I love it, only in America.